BRIEF BIOGRAPHY...WEST meets East!
KAVISHA MAZZELLA AM
Kavisha Mazzella is an ARIA award winning singer songwriter who does not believe in world music.It's just music!!! Music unites us and creating imaginary titles such as world music is silly! She enjoys crossing musical boundaries and create community experiences in her shows.She first came to national attention with her appearance in the Franco Di Chiera documentary " Joys Of The Women" in 1993. Drawing on her rich multicultural heritage she creates contemporary songs with haunting melody and lyrical depth. While her early influences come from the singer songwriter tradition of the likes of Sandy Denny,Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen, over time due to her passion for italian regional folksong,she has absorbed influence from the East with its modal tones and ecstatic singing styles of Indian,Arabic, Southern Italian and Gypsy influenced song and links these with western folk music influences.
Other influences that have made an impression on Kavisha's music are her interest in meditation and mysticism through the teachings of Osho ,Sufi ,Tibetan Buddhist Masters and Advaita teachings.Kavisha leads a chanting singing group called Empty Sky once a month. Warmth and humour spice her performance. Whether performing solo, writing for theatre or directing a choir Kavisha brings a joy of life and sensitivity into the music.Kavisha has been a guest vocal tutor at Victorian College Of The Arts,Swinburne.
Since the early 80s ,she has been learning italian regional folksongs from cds,records, tapes and from the singing of Italian migrants . Kavisha founded and was the musical director of Fremantle's JOYS OF The Women Italian Choir 1989-93 and Melbourne's vivacious Italian Women's choir " La Voce Della Luna"(The Voice Of the Moon)"from 1995-2013.In March 2014 Kavisha released RITURNELLA which has 13 songs of love and betrayal from 1400- 1900s.
CHOIRS:Since the late eighties Kavisha has also been collecting Italian popular and folk songs remembered by Italian migrants arranging them in Choral form to be sung and kept alive by the choirs 'Le Gioie Delle Donne (Joys of The Women) in Fremantle West Australia and"La Voce Della Luna" (Voice Of The Moon) in Melbourne Victoria.She also directs communitychoir" The Moon's A Balloon " for people whose lives are touched by mental illness which is sponsored by Mental Illness Fellowship Victoria and United Nations Of Song a multifaith/multicultural choir fro Manningham City Council .
FESTIVALS Her shows have people singing along before they know it. Since 1990,She has performed extensively and also run songwriting and choral workshops at music festivals such as Maleny,Woodford Folk Festivals and International festivals such as Edinburough Fringe,Cork Arts Festival,Australia Festival Dublin.Brunswick Music festival and Port Fairy.
THEATRE; 2015 MARP Malaysia Australia Raft Project MAP fest and Nati Frinj in colloration with visual artists Anthony Pelchen and various artists. In 2011-12 Kavisha has collaborating with one of India's top actors Arjun Raina and the Colonial ,the Convict ,the Cockatoo a show exploring Australian History. Kavisha also has an ongoing show about Italy, sex ,death and food with Author actor and storyteller Andrew Lindsay " Mermaids in the Well and the Devil's on my shoulder!"Recently she collaborated with author Arnold Zable In the 2 man show" Anytime The Wind Can Change' inspiring tales of Australia's indigenous people,immigrants and refugees.
Victorian Women's trust invited KAvisha to be a Watermark champion.Watermark is a community discussion about our most precious resource- water.They also commissioned Kavisha to write a womens Anthem "Love and Justice"to celebrate 100 years of the Suffrage in Victoria in 2008.
"Kavisha sings with the voice of a heartbroken angel"
Victoria Laurie, The Australian
Whether working solo or with others,Kavisha has carved a strong reputation as a performer, songmaker, composer ,theatre worker and teacher.playing guitar,mandolin,piano accordian , it is her hauntingly beautiful voice,capable of power and nuance ,humour and spontaneity on stage that makes no two shows alike.In her music the East meets West and tracks the journeys of many migrants in the world.
Singing in English and Italian, Kavisha's songs come from the heart and take you on a witty, joyful, poetic journey .She is currently based in Melbourne, Australia.
- In 1981 "I Papaveri" With Sanjiva Margio ,Giri Mazzella- Neopolitan And Southern Italian Street Songs Of The 14th To 20th Century
- 1987-1996 "Rich 'N'famous" With John Reed, Lee Buddle,Gary Burke.Peter Grayling,Rueben Kooperman
- 1989 "Le Gioie Delle Donne"(Joys Of The Women) An Italian Women's Choir From Fremantle
- 1993-1998 Fireflies (Original And Trad Material) Collaborations With Musicians Such As John Norton, Louis Mcmanus, Blair Greenburg, Dave Steel, Matthew Arnold, Justin Brady ,Ben Robertson , Archie Cuthbertson And Irini Vela
- 1995-present "La Voce Della Luna "(Voice Of The Moon) Italian Women's Choir In Melbourne With John Norton and Phil Carroll
- 1999-2004 Solo Shows With Various collaborating with Musicians ,Rosie Westbrook,Peter Vadiveloo,Luke O'Neil
- 2004-2010 Kavisha Mazzella Trio collaborated with Irine Vela and Peter Vadiveloo
- 2006-present Collaboration with Jazzplayers TREGUA with,Gianni Marinucci Danny Gordon,Ronnie Ferella, Nicolino Di Sipio.
- 2010-present Kavisha ,Phil Carroll,Matthew Arnold , Irene Vela , Dave Di DSanti , Mark Holder keeping Sam Di Santi.and various musicians in different combos.
- 2017 I Viaggiatori Italian folk songs, Woody Guthrie Project with Bruce Hearn and the Macchinists.Kavisha Solo song writing project .
- 2017 The Fearless Note (Mazzella Music)
- 2014 RITURNELLA (Mazzella Music)
- 2011 " Love and Sorrow"(Mazzella Music) produced by Nano Stern(winner of National Film and Sound Archive Award)
- 2010 " Suitcase Serenata" with I Viaggiatori NOMINATED FOR LIMELIGHT MAGAZINE AWARD BEST WORLD MUSIC CD
- 2007" Yarra Luna" with La Voce Della Luna, Italian Folk Choir
- 2006 "Mare Profundo" premiere choir composition with Melbourne Millenium Chorus (the Boite)
- 2005 "Azadi"Songs of Liberation with Melbourne Millenium Chorus (the Boite)
- 2003 " Silver Hook Tango" produced By Gerry O' Bierne NOMINATED FOR ARIA
- 2002 "Flight" Concert for Refugees with Melbourne Millenium Chorus (the Boite)with Melbourne Millenium Chorus (the Boite)
- 2001 "Luna"E.P.(Ind),Concert For East Timor with Melbourne Millenium Chorus (the Boite)
- 2000 "Canberra ,Cork , Calgary....Live"(Ind),
- 1999 "Live At The Melbourne Concert Hall "with Melbourne Millenium Chorus
- 1998 "Fisherman's Daughter" produced by Mick Thomas WINNER ARIA AWARD
- 1997"Three Shielas" With Judy Small,Bronwyn Calcutt (Crafty Maid),
- 1997 "Stepping Out" La Voce Della Luna Italian women's Choir
- 1995 "Mermaids In The Well"produced by Lee Buddle and John Reed
- 1993 "Joys Of The Women" (ABC/Electric Pictures) With Le Gioie Delle Donne Italian Women's Choir
- 1990 I Papaveri" Flowers in The Desert"(indie)
- 1991 Rich'n' Famous " Best Song In The World"( indie)
- Wamia (West Australia Music Industry Awards) 1990,-Song Writing
- 1993-Outstanding Female Vocalist
- 1996 Greenroom Award For Musical Direction In Theatre For "Emma-Celebrazione!"
- 1998 Aria (Australia Recording Industry Award) Best Traditional/World Album For Fisherman's Daughter"
- 1999 Female Artist Of The Year @ Thredbo Global Music Awards.
- 2000 Italia Nel Mondo Award " From The Government Of Italy
- A 2001 Puc For Best Individual Artist In A Theatre Production For "Luna"
- 2002 Helpmann Award Nomination(Co-Written With Angela Chaplin & Kath Thompson) For Best New Australian Work For "Mavis Goes To Timor"
- 2003 A.F.I. Award Nomination For Best Score For "Rosa's Story"
- For "East Timor, Birth Of A Nation" By Stella Zanataro And Luigi D'aquisto"
- 2003 West Australian Premiers Literary Award Nomination For "Mavis Goes To Timor"
- 2003 Australian Writers Guild Award For Best New Australian Work For
- "Mavis Goes To Timor" Shared With Angela Chaplin,Katheryn Thompson.
- 2003 Aria Nomination For Best World Music Album"Silver Hook Tango"
- 2004 Port Fairy Artist Of The Year
- 2008 Victoria Multicultural Commission Award for excellence Community Arts
- 2010 ABC Limelight Magazine best World release nomination for "Suitcase Serenata "by i Viaggiatori
- 2011 Member of the Order of Australia for services to community and music,National Film and Sound Archive Award for Best Folk cd release for " Love and Sorrow" at the National Folk Festival.
- Kavisha Has Played The Major Folk Festivals In Australia Such As1991-2002 Woodford,
- 1992-2004 Port Fairy,
- 2001 Nannup,
- 2001,04 Fairbridge,
- 1993-2004 Brunswick Music Festival,
- 1991-2000 The National,
- 1996,2001 Sydney Accapella Festival,
- 1999 Cygnet,
- 1999-2002 Blue Mountains,
- 1999,2001 Thredbo World Music
- , 1987-1993 Toodjay,
- 1995 -1998 Victor Harbour
- And Overseas At 1998 Canada ,Calgary Folk Fest ,Canmore Folk Fest
- 1998 Italy, Aquila , Abbruzzi -City Of Moreland Artists Exchange
- 1998 Scotland, Speigal Tent ,Edinburugh Fringe
- 1999 Canada@Rogues Folk Club Vancouver ,Full Moon , Edmonton,Calgary Folk Club
- 1999 Ireland , Ballymaloe Music Weekend , Cork Arts Festival@The Lobby Cork city,
- 1999 , New Zealand, Whare Flats Folk Festival , North American Folk Alliance Alberqueque
- 2000 New Caledonia ,Femme Funk Festival ,Noumea.
- 2001 Kalaka/European Union Of Broadcasters Festival In Miscolc,Hungary,
- 2001 Australia Festival Dublin
- 2002 Brunswick Music Festival , Apollo Bay Music Festival, Woodford,
- The Famous Spiegel Tent Melbourne
- 2003 Ranges Folk Fest ,Womadelaide, Brunswick Music Festival.
- 2004 Chewton,Brunswick Music Festival,Port Fairy,National Folk Festival,Fairbridge,Rhythms Of The Outback Festival Kalgoorlie.,Famous Spiegeltent,Melbourne International Arts Festival.
- 2005 Nannup Music Festival W.A.,Troubadour Weekend Lancefield Victoria ,Two Fires Festival Braidwood N.S.W.,National Folk Festival Canberra Act,Wanaka Festival Of Colour New Zealand
- 2006 Fairbridge Festival,National Folk Festival Canberra,
- 2007 Brunswick Music Festival,Troubadour Weekend,Cygnet folk Festival,
- 2007 Melbourne Italian Festival,Port Fairy Winter Festival, Festival Of Voices Tasmania,
- 2007 Maleny Festival of Books and Writing,Northen Notes Writers Festival, Darebin Music Feast,Brunswick Festival, Woodford Folk Festival,National Folk Festival Canberra
- 2008 Brunswick Music Festival,Port Fairy,Fairbridge Festival
- 2009 Illawarra Festival, Brunswick Music festival,Quiet Music festival,Sydney Greek festival,MacKay Festival of Arts,Darebin Music Feast,Global Grooves festival MacKay,
- 2010 ,Cygnet Folk Festival Tas, National Folk Festival Canberra,Brunswick Music festival,Festival Of Voices Tas,Melbourne Festival of Choirs,Coburg Festival,Tablelands Folk Festival,Woodford Qland,Explorations at La Mamma,
- 2011 Brunswick Music festival VIC,Campaspe Downs music festival,Natimuk Fringe Festival, Two Fires festival Braidwood ACT.,Brisbane Italian week,Illawarra Folk Festival,Darebin Music Feast.
- 2012 Woodford Folk Festival,Cygnet Folk Festival, Adelaide Fringe Festival, Nannup Folk Festival WA, Fairbridge festival WA, Ettalong Beach Festival NSW,Yoga Barn Bali,
- 2013 National Folk Festival ACT,Denmark Festival of Voices WA,Nectar Festival WA,Natimuk Biennale,Woodford Folk Festival Qland.
- 2013/14 Woodford Folk festival Qland , Brunswick Music Festival VIC, Burke and Wills VIC Festival, Music to Open Your Mind Festival WA, Nati Frinj
- 2015 MAP fest Malaysia,
- 2016 Map fest Malaysia,Woodford Folk Festival,
- 2017 Nati Frinj,
Deckchair Theatre Company Fremantle music composition and musical direction and performance in collaboration with Angela Chaplin of 13 shows including Emma Celebrazione, Mavis Goes to Timor and Eva Luna 1990-2007
Brunswick Women's Theatre music composition and direction 1995-98
Refuge Theatre Company in collaboration with Carmel Davies Fitzroy Learning Network 1998-2003
"I Came Without My Mother's Hand" and "Kan Yama Kan "1998-2002
"Mermaids in The Well and The Devil's on my Shoulder" music,composition & performance with author and storyteller Andrew Lindsay 2006-present
" Anytime the Wind can Change" stories and original songs with Author Arnold Zable 2006-present
" The Colonial The Convict and the Cockatoo" music and performance.with Arjun Raina of Sohamasmi Performing Arts /Adelaide Fringe 2011-12 .
MARP Malaysia Australia Raft Project Dance Theatre 2015